[Samba] Does Samba affect leap second?

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 23:55:16 MST 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 12:26 AM, Jeff Sadowski <jeff.sadowski at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 6:23 PM, ITPFS oota <t-oota at dh.jp.nec.com> wrote:
> > At 2012-06-30, leap second will be introduced.
> >
> > ftp://hpiers.obspm.fr/iers/bul/bulc/bulletinc.dat
> >
> > Does Samba affect leap second?
> >
> I pretty sure this would be taken care of by ntp.

I think Samba will be fine, but it's not really NTP handling this. NTP
manages the correlations between the system's time functions and
the hardware clock. It does *not* manage the mapping between the system
time and other programs. I've personally had real adventures when
programmers used their own private little date management routines with
unpredictable results on leap days, much less leap seconds.

I wouldn't anticipate this problem with Samba, but client systems with
out-of-date libraries will need some attention if they're doing
time-sensitive operations. Fortunately, there's a certain amount of slack,
anyway, in operations done on network based file systems such as CIFS or
NFS, in case one system edits a file and another system doesn't get the
message from the file server about the change immediately.

It could get adventuresome if there's a timestamp based semaphore used
between two clients and one has an out of date set of "locale" utilities,
though.