[Samba] Question regarding default user domain in samba

Daniel Patrick Sullivan dansullivan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 11:40:18 MST 2012

Hi, Everybody,

I sent an email to this list with a couple of questions in it earlier
this week; this is kind of a 'repeat' question, so I apologize if
you've read this one already; I wanted to flesh out the details of my
inquisition a tad bit more in hopes that somebody could potentially
chime in with an answer as I am afraid that I either a) didn't
articulate my question in enough detail or b)  didn't ask nicely
enough the first time :-)

Ok, so here's my problem; I am working in an environment with an
Active Directory forest where 100% of our user accounts exist one
domain and 100% of our computer objects exist in another domain.  I
have winbind setup with pam & ssh, and everything is working fine.  I
can authenticate across the trust no problem.  My issue is that whever
I authenticate, I have to supply the domain name and whatever domain
separator is configured in smb.conf to get this working.  I know about
the "use default domain" option in smb.conf, but from what I
understand this will only "prepend" the default realm, or the domain
that the computer is actually a domain member of.  So really, I want
to:

1) set the 'use default domain' option (or implement similar functionality) AND
2) specify the actual domain that is used (i.e. a domain that is
trusted, although NOT the domain that the server is actually a member
of).

Does anybody know if this is possible?  In my opinion this is more of
a usability issue than anything (i.e. it is kind of a pain to type in
the domain name every time I authenticate).  I would think that
achieving this effect (specifying "use default domain" and
deterministally configuring the default logon domain) would be
feasible, but I'm stilling banging my head against the wall trying to
figure out if this is possible.

I've already tried;
1) setting the default_realm in the [libdefaults] stanza in /etc/krb5.conf
2) using a usermap supplied in /etc/samba/smb.conf

If anybody knows how to do this, or could point me to a piece of
documentation that suggests a way to implement this sort of
configuration, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank-you so much, and
have a wonderful day.

Dan Sullivan