[Samba] V4 - New Install - Missing Zone File

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 05:57:04 MST 2012

Hi

On 21 February 2012 13:26, JDFire <jdfire at cox.net> wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I am trying to compile and install Samba 4 using the wiki guide on Centos 6.2. I am currently using the current source from git. It seems that the zone file used for Bind is not configured and not installed in the private directory.
>
> Is there any way to get this file generated so I can finish my install?

The default DNS backend has changed to BIND9_DLZ.  This means the DNS
records are stored in Samba4's AD tree instead of in a normal zone
file.

I've not tried the above, so am not sure exactly how to set it up.
There are some posts about it in the samba-technical mailing list
archives, though.

For the zone file, re-provision with the following option:

  --dns-backend=BIND9_FLATFILE

The BIND9_FLATFILE backend is the old way.  BIND9_DLZ and
SAMBA_INTERNAL are the two new methods.  BIND9_DLZ needs a recent
version of bind with DLZ dlopen support.  The SAMBA_INTERNAL does not
yet support signed DNS updates (last I heard).

Since I provisioned samba4 before the DLZ option was available I have
stuck with BIND9_FLATFILE for now.

If you're just starting out, you might want to try the DLZ backend.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>