[Samba] A windows user can create a file, but cannot delete

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Mon Feb 20 22:43:14 MST 2012

Colleagues,

I have encountered a weird problem (FreeBSD 8.2, samba34-3.4.14).
A user can create files in a samba share but cannot delete files from
it (unless she is the owner of the file).

The user is a member of a group with rwx permissions on this directory
granted by a Posix ACL entry. The user can create and delete files in
the directory from the shell on the file server (which is correct
according to Unix logic), but only create from the Windows client.

smbd seems to be interfering somehow with unlink(). If I make the user
the owner of the file, or a member of the file's primary group, now
the user can delete the file. If a user is a member of some other
group which has rwx permissions on the directory, the user can only
create files but not delete them.

Certainly it's not a Unix permission issue. There is no "read only"
attribute on the files, no sticky bit on the directory, no weird
UFS file flags and attributes.

I have tried "acl check permissions" both yes and no with no effect.

TIA for any ideas. I have seen people with similar problems, like
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2006-May/120521.html
but never a solution.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN