[Samba] How to Force Domain Clients to use new PDC

Wikked One wikked1 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 17 06:17:39 MST 2012

All systems are joined to the same domain and have the same SID,confirmed.

I'm using the NT4 Server manager to look at status of all domain members,

it displays the hierarchy of the domain, (I figure if an XP workstation (domain member,logged

in as the domain admin) is picking up the change (it does indicate the change usually within 15 minutes

of the BDC to PDC and vice versa).   Workstations still report the old PDC when issuing an echo %logonserver%

at the command line,which I understand from the old NT4 Server days,the BDC usually handles logon requests,

but since I'm trying to make the shift to a TLS communication with the LDAP backend I stop the samba service on

the non-TLS BDC and promote the BDC to PDC using the OS level and a couple other parameters.

When it comes to the WINS servers,what I'm asking is IF I can make a change on them to recognize the new PDC faster by

changing a parameter on them so that WINS "leases" (for lack of the parameter name at the moment) are refreshed and the
new PDC recognize by all members of the domain faster?

The two seem to be connected so if I can get WINS to distribute the new PDC to the rest of the domain
faster.....
The Domain wide recognition of the new PDC takes too long ....

the Hosts (LMHOSTS) file is not a good option in this case....