[Samba] mount.cifs gives error 13 after changing servers -- hidden cache??

Digit Ijit digitijit at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 12:23:06 MST 2012

A sysadmin moved a share from one Windows server to another.  I am now
getting error 13 when trying to mount the share from the new server.

The following worked before the server was replaced:

mount.cifs //ipaddress1/share1$ /mnt/share1 -o
credientials/home/whatever/.smbcredentials,rw
mount.cifs //ipaddress2/share2$ /mnt/share2 -o
credientials/home/whatever/.smbcredentials,ro

Change: server ipaddress2 was replaced with server ipaddress3 and share2$
was created on that server.

mount.cifs //ipaddress1/share1$ /mnt/share1 -o
credientials/home/whatever/.smbcredentials,rw
Still works!
mount.cifs //ipaddress3/share2$ /mnt/share2 -o
credientials/home/whatever/.smbcredentials,ro
FAILS with mount error(13): Permission denied

However, I can browse to //ipaddress3/share2$ using nautilus, and it is
also accessible from any Windows box on the network!  This problem looks
similar to
lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2011-June/162704.html.  Clearly, mount.cifs
seems to cache information somewhere.  I have looked through /etc, /lib,
/var and /proc for any evidence that ipaddress2 was cached, but cannot find
anything.  Any tips on how to solve this problem?

Thanks!
--
Digit Ijit