[Samba] Samba 3.6.1 losing browser elections to WinXP

Miguel Medalha miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Tue Feb 14 17:46:39 MST 2012

> 2)  How can I force a browser election without
>     restarting the daemons?  smbd doesn't seem
>     to respond to a SIGHUP.  A command line would
>     be nice.

Look at the "smbcontrol" command.

>         os level = 65

Did you try to increase "os level" ?

Also, read the man page for the "domain master" parameter.

 From smb.conf  man page:

preferred master (G)

     This boolean parameter controls if nmbd(8) is a preferred master
browser for its workgroup.

     If this is set to yes, on startup, nmbd will force an election, and
it will have a slight advantage in winning the election. *It is
recommended that this parameter is used in conjunction with domain
master = yes, so that nmbd can guarantee becoming a domain master.*