[Samba] Samba4 Permissions not working

Doug Rintoul courtjestr at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 13:47:03 MST 2012

I have installed and am running Samba4 as a domain controller in an
existing Domain as described in "Samba4/HOWTO/Join a domain as a DC". I
compiled Samba4 using the latest git sources. However I am having
problems with shares on the samba server. I have a share called public
on the Samba4 server. I created a folder in the share using Windows 2003
server called test and gave everyone full control on the share. I can
create files and folders in the test folder from Windows as an
administrator, but when I try create files and folders in test as a
regular user, I get "Access Denied", even though everyone is supposed to
have full control. When I look at the Unix file permissions on the test
folder I created from Windows I see

drwxr-xr-x  2 root       users      4096 2012-02-10 12:05 test

If I change the permission on test folder to 775, I can then create
files and folders in test as a regular user from a Windows computer. The
weird thing is, if I create a text document using a Windows admin
account the Unix permissions on the text document are

-rw-r--r--  1 root     users         10 Feb 10 12:35 readme.txt

Yet I can edit, rename and delete that document as a regular Windows
user. It would seem that Samba4 is treating folder permissions
differently from file permissions. Is this a bug? How can I created
folders from a Windows machine and set permissions without having to go
to the Samba server and set Unix permissions manually?

Thanks,

Doug.