[Samba] Include directory in smb.conf

Santiago Diez santiago.diez at caoba.fr
Fri Feb 10 04:32:04 MST 2012

Hi there,

Thanks Nicol and Moray for your participation.

Yes Nicol, I do have a particular need :
I find it very usefull to be able to manage atomic configuration options
adding or removing files rather than editing lines inside files.
I use */etc/cron.d/*, */etc/sudoers.d/*, */etc/init.d/*, *
/etc/apache/sites-enabled/* very often!

Take *cron*, if I want to activate a job that setup time, I need to include
this line in /etc/crontab
0 0 * * * root ntpdate my_ntp_server
But maybe I have multiple lines, maybe I want to do that automaticaly on
multiple servers.
If so, I'll need to setup a very techy sed command to make sure the cron
doesn't exist already, etc...
With cron.d, I only have to run
echo "0 0 * * * root ntpdate my_ntp_server" > /etc/cron.d/ntpdate
 If it doesn't exist, it is created, if it exist, it is updated with new
parameters.

Take *samba*, I manage multiple servers for many very small charity
organization or independent workers.
I'd be very happy to have 1 unique configuration file for all servers and
then atomic share config files in a directory network dependant.
Same thing that for cron, I don't want complex sed commands.
I want to echo the configuration for *one share* into *one file*.
If it exists, it's replaced, if it doesn't, it is created.

Moray, your idea's good, I can probably get around by changing the script
/etc/init.d/samba.
Adding a simple script line that would build the config file from template
+ shares.d everytime I start the service.

Santiago
*Santiago DIEZ*
*Director*
*+33 6 37 90 81 98*

<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fsantiago.news.free.fr%2Flogo.png&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzfmW2Io3OI5IqEGiVeDRebZgD4TaQ>
*Quark Systems & CAOBA*
*23 rue du Buisson Saint-Louis, 75010 Paris