[Samba] APW and Windows 7

Chris Smith smb_77 at chrissmith.org
Wed Feb 8 08:09:43 MST 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 6:07 PM, Mike Vallabh <mike at waikato.ac.nz> wrote:
>  What I haven't figured out (but have managed to work around) is that when
> you install the driver via APW, it presents a list of Manufacturers and
> Printer Models.  If I do the above from a Win7 (32-bit) client everything
> works as you would expect.  If however I do the above from a Win7 (64-bit)
> client I do not get presented with the Manufacturers/Models window.  Instead
> the "drivers" windows says "No drivers found for your device".  Does this
> have something to so with how the Windows Active Directory views \\myprinter
> as either a 32-bit or 64-bit server when I joined it to the domain?

Didn't have a local 32 bit client to test with but I can duplicate the
APW problem with a raw queue and a 64 bit client. I normally would not
run across this as I use cupsaddsmb to add drivers but decided to
create a raw print queue and give it a shot. In following the
instructions at:
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/classicalprinting.html#id2627720
which I've used successfully many times in the past (with older
versions of Samba and 32 bit clients) the APW does not provide a
driver list. If I ignore "Do not click on Yes! Instead, click on No in
the error dialog." and click on "Yes" the APW will present a driver
list, but unless things have changed we know method that is incorrect.

Suggest you create a bug report for this.

Also it's been mentioned many times on this list that with a modern
distro the "socket options = " should not be specified. I don't know
that distro but you may be hurting performance by using it.

Chris