[Samba] Samba 3.5 & CIFS mounts - long standing issue...

Jakov Sosic jakov.sosic at srce.hr
Fri Feb 3 05:13:18 MST 2012

Hi.

I can see that this is a long long standing issue... Apparently things
changed in Windows 2008 R2, and after upgrade of domain from R1 to R2
cifs mounts don't work anymore between Linux servers. Windows can see
Samba shares and mount them, but CIFS on another Linux box cannot...

Here is a thread with explanation in lenght:

I get the exact same logs and errors... I've tested with smbclient and
everything works but with CIFS - no way :(

Has anybody succeded in solving this one?

Mount with CIFS:
#  mount -t cifs //server/share /mnt -o
username=jakov.sosic,password=*******,domain=mydomain -v

mount.cifs kernel mount options:
unc=//server\share,ver=1,username=jakov.sosic,domain=mydomain,ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,pass=********
mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

Login with smbclient:

# smbclient -U jakov.sosic //server/share
Enter Administrator's password:
Domain=[MYDOMAIN] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.5.4-0.83.el5_7.2]
smb: \>

I've tried adding various mount parameters like sec=ntlmv2,
credentials=/path/to/file, but every attempt fails.

Any ideas?!?!!

Samba is version 3.5.4 on CentOS 5.7 on both Linux machines.

--
Jakov Sosic
www.srce.unizg.hr