[Samba] ongoing printer issues

Tom Ryan tomryan at camlaw.rutgers.edu
Wed Feb 1 14:54:35 MST 2012

So I continue to work through the various printing issues I've had with Samba. Hopefully the indexing of my messages will prove useful to others :)

Anyway, while my previous "fixes" have gotten us printing for the most part, we still experience random issues (mostly with PDF printing to certain printers and printing from speciality programs).

Anyway, our current issue is as such.

User can print from Word/Outlook/Firefox/etc just fine.
User prints from speciality program to same printer (as word/etc) and it does not print.

Samba reports (at log level 3) a slew of stuff, the most unusual part though is

[2012/02/01 16:43:55.319563,  3] smbd/error.c:81(error_packet_set)
  error packet at smbd/ipc.c(137) cmd=37 (SMBtrans) STATUS_BUFFER_OVERFLOW

I should note that this is a Win7 64bit system printing to 3.6.3

I've found some posts on the 'net relating to regressions in samba and 64bit clients, but I was hoping if anyone had some other suggestions.

Many thanks!

Tom