[Samba] Samba AD replication on new installation of Samba 4.0

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Dec 31 01:40:22 MST 2012

On Mon, 2012-12-31 at 05:34 +0000, Justin Clacherty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Fantastic that Samba 4.0 has been released, I've just installed and joined it to an existing AD (single Win2k8R2 server running Exchange).  The installation seemed to go well but I'm seeing odd messages when I show the replication status on both the Samba server and the Win2k8R2 server.  Is there something I missed in the install?  I followed the instructions outlined at https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO/Join_a_domain_as_a_DC
>
> The problems I'm seeing are:
>
> 1. showrepl under Samba shows all inbound and outbound neighbours have successfully replicated, but the last line after the KCC Connections Objects has " Warning: No NC replicated for Connection!"  What would cause this?
>
> 2. under Windows showrepl (/all) shows all outbound neighbours have successfully replicated, however, the inbound neighbours show failures for the first two entries complaining of a schema mismatch.  The third entry shows success (it's the schema replication). Everything else looks good
>
> 3. before joining the domain I ensured there was an A record and associated PTR record for the Samba server. After joining I had to manually add the CNAME record for the object GUID in _msdcs. Is this normal or should joining do this automatically?

No, you shouldn't need to add DNS information manually.  The
samba_dnsupdate script should run once Samba starts and handle all this.

As to why things are failing, and your mention of a schema mismatch, if
the import of the exchange schema has caused problems, this might be an
issue.  Are there any more details in the logs?

You might want to try current master, if you are in an experimental
mood, as we have some DRS improvements, but otherwise I'm sorry I can't
help more.

Sorry,

Andrew Bartlett