[Samba] Samba4 AD DC Sites / Rename Default-First-Site-Name and internal DNS

Achim Gottinger achim at ag-web.biz
Sun Dec 30 20:10:14 MST 2012

> As you have noticed, we are very good at adding DNS records, but never
> remove the old ones.  What you have done seems reasonable, if you have
> renamed the site, removing the remaining DNS references seems entirely
> reasonable.
>
> Please file a bug about the left-behind DNS stuff, we really should
> clean that up.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

There is this menu option "cleanup old resource entries" in the DNS snap-in, guess it's normal AD behaviour.  :-)
This does not yet work against an Samba4 AD DC. But I'll file an bugreport.

> I'm not 100% sure that we implement everything that is needed for a
> client to pickup the correct site, so you might see some issues still.
It had happened in very seldom cases with the samba3/bind/openldap before. In the Samba4 test environment it happened only once after i had removed the mentioned SRV records pointig to site2's dc in site1 folders. I'll report back if it happens on an regular basis.
>> As an last step i renamed the site "Default-First-Site-Name" into
>> "site1". Restarted the samba services at both sites check
>> replication. But there are still a few DNS entries left whom i
>> deleted manual.
> It's really not a good idea to delete rename the default-First site
> lots of Windows admins don't advise to do so, you'd better leave it
> empty. Matthieu

So to be on the safe side you recommend i create two new sites and assign the two servers to them, leaving Default-First-Site-Name with on assigned server.
I thought it is safer to leave the first server in that default site because i had read the sites thing is a work in progress. Renaming it was somethin i did after abit of online research which mentioned it is safe and not forbidden. Beside that now empty structure elements in dns the test environment is still work functional.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverNIS/thread/2afc3cf5-7389-4368-bdeb-887e60c0081f

Beside all that for me samba4 is a great step forward an will simplify things alot compared to the previous samba3/bind/openldap solution

Achim Gottinger