[Samba] Extending AD schema

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Sun Dec 30 00:15:58 MST 2012

On 12/29/2012 06:24 PM, Norberto Bensa wrote:
> Hello,
>
> from: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/FAQ
>
> """
> Will it also be possible in the future to extend the server by loading user
> defined schema's?
>
> Yes, user-defined schema may be loaded into the Samba 4.0 AD DC. It is
> experimental, so you must set
> dsdb:schema update allowed = yes
> in the smb.conf to permit it.
> """
>
> My question is: what does it mean "it is experimental"?
>
> I'm asking because I'm in the process of migrating an existing s3+ldap
> domain, which has some custom classes and attributes. While I can emulate
> some of our functionality using AD attributes and classes, some others
> cannot (or I just haven't find the way yet).
Well I guess experimental is a bit too bold now but we can insure you
100% as we have some corner case not covered. If you want to be sure
make a test env, load your schema extensions, restart samba if samba
restarts and you are able to search then you are safe, for the record we
managed to add exchange schema to a samba DC so it should cover a pretty
large spectrum of changes.

Matthieu.

--
Matthieu Patou