[Samba] Samba AD DC migration and official packages

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Dec 27 15:07:12 MST 2012

On Thu, 2012-12-27 at 13:42 -0300, Federico Alberto Sayd wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Recently I have tried Samba AD DC (Samba4), because I want migrate our
> Samba 3 installation to Samba AD DC (Samba4). My tests were
> successfully, I could migrate a copy o f my samba 3 installation.
>
> Now I want to migrate my real installation to Samba4 but my question is
> about packaging. For now there is not a  v4.0 stable Samba package in
> Debian Wheezy, and I don't want install a rc version.
>
>   I can compile and install Samba 4 in Debian, but what about a future
> migration to official and stable packages provided by Debian? How
> painfull would it be such a migration?
>
> Can someone confirm what archives does contain the essential domain data
> (Kerberos, LDAP, DNS, etc) to migrate in the future to a packaged Samba
> AD DC?

The essential data to the DC is all in the private directory, and the
smb.conf is in etc.  The sysvol share (pointed at in smb.conf) is also
critical, and you should ensure you maintain xattrs when you move that
around.

Finally, the files in 'lock' should be moved to the Samba state
directory of your eventual debian install.

I agree that the situation around official packages in all the
distributions is frustrating, and I hope we can get a cleaner solution
soon.

Andrew Bartlett