[Samba] New version Samba matrix

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 19:54:08 MST 2012

On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 9:22 AM, Douche, Frederic
<Frederic.Douche at apx-integration.fr> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have a client with redhat 3.8 32bits, on this platform he use an old samba version

As an active RHEL user and CentOS and Scientific Linux user, I've got
to tell you, nothing should be *allowed* to run on such an old system.
Production suport for RHEL 3 ended in 2010, there is extended support
available until January 30, 2014, but it's going to stink to be you
trying to maintain that platform, especially since security updates
have fallen well behind. EPEL has dropped support for it, the "mock"
toolkit for building RPM's cleanly has even dropped support for RHEL
4,

Amazingly, rpmforge is still doing some updates for RHEL 3, but system
components will be in the rpmforge "extras" repository, so you'll have
to dig around for them. Tools like "rsync" will benefite from the
RPMforge update.

If you need it, you can try my SRPM components for Samba 3.6.10 at
https://github.com/nkadel/samba-3.6.10-srpm. But of course getting
*git* to work on RHEL 3.x will be an adventure, itself, and don't even
ask about other source control systems like Subversion. I'm the
current author of the latest Subversion RPM's for RPMforge, for
Subversion 1.6.x and Subversion 1.7.x

I'd really encourage you to update to RHEL 5, which is current and
maintained, or RHEL 6, which is the current release.