[Samba] Update A Compiled Version

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Dec 26 03:09:47 MST 2012

On Thu, 2012-12-20 at 11:20 -0700, Zane Zakraisek wrote:
> I'm pretty new to compiling software, although I would rather compile my
> own Samba 4.0.0 server rather than wait for it to become available in the
> repositories of my distribution. How do you update compiled software. Like
> if I compile and install Samba 4.0.0, and then 4.0.1 comes out, Is there a
> way to update to that without starting from scratch and having to rebuild
> my domain? Thanks

Just installing it on top works most of the time.  If you have problems,
remove the binaries (.so files and files in bin and sbin) and the
re-install.

We handle reading and using the sam.ldb and other files in private/ (and
elsewhere) from older versions as a natural part of running the updated
version.  The WHATSNEW suggests a dbcheck command that can be very
helpful.

Andrew Bartlett