[Samba] Update A Compiled Version

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Dec 26 03:07:13 MST 2012

On Tue, 2012-12-25 at 18:24 -0500, Robert Heller wrote:
> At Thu, 20 Dec 2012 11:20:40 -0700 Zane Zakraisek <doublezane at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I'm pretty new to compiling software, although I would rather compile my
> > own Samba 4.0.0 server rather than wait for it to become available in the
> > repositories of my distribution. How do you update compiled software. Like
> > if I compile and install Samba 4.0.0, and then 4.0.1 comes out, Is there a
> > way to update to that without starting from scratch and having to rebuild
> > my domain? Thanks
>
> Most (all?) Linux distributions include a compiled version of Samba as
> part of the distriution's software repository.  Check to see what your
> distribution makes available.

No major Distributions yet include a full version of Samba 4.0 at this
stage, as far as I'm aware.  (There are major issues for all
distributions in integrating the whole of Samba 4.0, if the distribution
either has an objection to our Heimdal Kerberos bundle or is packaging
Samba 3.6 alongside)

This will change, but using 'samba4' packages from the repositories is
sadly not the simple way to obtain Samba 4.0.

Andrew Bartlett