[Samba] New version Samba matrix

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Dec 26 03:03:43 MST 2012

On Mon, 2012-12-24 at 15:22 +0100, Douche, Frederic wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have a client with redhat 3.8 32bits, on this platform he use an old samba version
>
> Could you tell me if the new samba's version (Samba 4) can be installed on this platform.

It certainly may be easier to run an older version of Samba than the
very newest code, on such an old platform.

What features of Samba 4.0 do you need on such an old host?  You really
should upgrade the host, and not just the Samba installation.

We strive to keep Samba running on really old systems, but there are
limits.  You will however need to work those out yourself by trial and
error, as the packages at
http://www.enterprisesamba.org/samba-packages/red-hats-rhel/ do not
stretch back to RHEL 3.8.

As RHEL 3.8 will not have a current python, you may need to either use
the install_with_python.sh script, or try the autoconf build in
source3/.

Andrew Bartlett