[Samba] Updating Samba

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Tue Dec 25 16:51:34 MST 2012

On 12/23/2012 10:40 AM, Zane Zakraisek wrote:
> I'm pretty new to compiling software, although I would rather compile my
> own Samba 4.0.0 server rather than wait for it to become available in the
> repositories of my distribution. How do you update compiled software. Like
> if I compile and install Samba 4.0.0, and then 4.0.1 comes out, Is there a
> way to update to that without starting from scratch and having to rebuild
> my domain? Thanks can I simply update my Git tree and then compile again,
> or will that delete everything

There are multiple ways that you can do it.

What I do is I download the new release and configure/build/install it
precisely the same as the previous one, of course adhering to any
special instructions in the release notes for upgrading.

You can (and should) learn how to package software for your
distribution, or at the very least, make binary tarballs that are
suitable for keeping, which gives you the ability to roll back.

I keep my custom-built software in /opt; my production Samba 4 systems
are rooted in /opt/samba4.

Of course, shutdown your old Samba, back it up, and then do the upgrade
process.  The Active Directory databases and the like, are, as I
understand it, in the install root.  At least some database files, as
well as the SYSVOL and NETLOGON shares are definitely there (in
${PREFIX}/var/locks/).

	--- Mike