[Samba] Moving a domain to new Linux install - Win7 ok but WinXP not ok

Andrew Galdes andrew.galdes at agix.com.au
Fri Dec 21 20:35:47 MST 2012

Hi all,

I am migrating a Samba 3 domain from an ageing server to a new server. I've
exported all users from the old server and imported them on the new server
using the following command (LDAP to TdbSam):

  pdbedit -i ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1 -e tdbsam:/tmp/tdbsam.agix
  scp /tmp/tdbsam.agix new.server.local:/etc/samba/passdb.tdb

I've set the same SID on the new server. Windows7 workstations have no
issues with this change. But WindowsXP just won't play along.
The WindowsXP workstations state that the password is wrong. But the Samba
logs show the process is successful.

I got and set the SID using:

  net getlocalsid

...and

  net setlocalsid BLABLA

Any suggestions? Is there something more that needs to be done? I really
don't want to rejoin the workstations to the [new] domain.

Ta.

--
-Andrew Galdes
Managing Director