[Samba] [Samba4] Is VFS working in Samba 4.0.0?

Kaito Kumashiro kumashiro.kaito at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 09:38:13 MST 2012

Hello

I'm testing Samba 4.0.0 (latest stable) as an AD DC. Here is how it was
build:

lvmtest samba # sbin/samba -b
Samba version: 4.0.0
Build environment:
   Build host:  Linux lvmtest 3.6.8-gentoo #3 SMP Wed Dec 5 14:27:26 CET
2012 i686 Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
Paths:
   BINDIR: /usr/local/samba/bin
   SBINDIR: /usr/local/samba/sbin
   CONFIGFILE: /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf
   NCALRPCDIR: /usr/local/samba/var/run/ncalrpc
   LOGFILEBASE: /usr/local/samba/var
   LMHOSTSFILE: /usr/local/samba/etc/lmhosts
   DATADIR: /usr/local/samba/share
   MODULESDIR: /usr/local/samba/lib
   LOCKDIR: /usr/local/samba/var/lock
   STATEDIR: /usr/local/samba/var/locks
   CACHEDIR: /usr/local/samba/var/cache
   PIDDIR: /usr/local/samba/var/run
   PRIVATE_DIR: /usr/local/samba/private
   SWATDIR: /usr/local/samba/share/swat
   CODEPAGEDIR: /usr/local/samba/share/codepages
   SETUPDIR: /usr/local/samba/share/setup
   WINBINDD_SOCKET_DIR: /usr/local/samba/var/run/winbindd
   WINBINDD_PRIVILEGED_SOCKET_DIR:
/usr/local/samba/var/lib/winbindd_privileged
   NTP_SIGND_SOCKET_DIR: /usr/local/samba/var/lib/ntp_signd

And here is my test configuration file:

lvmtest samba # cat etc/smb.conf
[global]
    workgroup = WGP
    realm = RLM
    netbios name = LVMTEST
    server services = smb, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl,
winbind, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate, dns
    dns forwarder = 10.0.0.238
    kerberos method = system keytab
    log level = 3
    log file = /var/log/samba.log.%m
    max log size = 50
    debug timestamp = yes

    client signing = yes
    client schannel = no
    client use spnego = yes
    client lanman auth = no
    client NTLMv2 auth = yes
    client plaintext auth = no

[netlogon]
    path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/rlm/scripts
    read only = No

[sysvol]
    read only = No

[profiles]
    path = /usr/local/samba/var/profiles
    read only = no

[public]
    path = /usr/local/samba/var/public
    read only = no
    browseable = yes
    vfs objects = scannedonly acl_xattr recycle foobar doesnotwork
    scannedonly:domain_socket = True
    scannedonly:socketname = /var/lib/scannedonly/scan
    scannedonly:hide_nonscanned_files = True
    scannedonly:allow_nonscanned_files = False

Logging in, roaming profiles etc. is working fine, but VFS are not. It
looks like "vfs objects" directive is totally ignored. Samba (with log
level 3) prints no error messages regarding VFS, nor any other information
stating that any of those modules are loaded or not. I can browse, read
from and write into "public" share, but removed files are not moved to
recycle dir, new files are not scanned (scannedonlyd_clamav is not getting
any updates) and those with "scanned", "virus" prefixes (created by
manually forcing scannedonlyd to check directory) are visible for the
users, so vfs_scannedonly is not working.
I couldn't find any information about VFS configuration in Samba4. Is it
working in this version? Is VFS configuration changed?

Regards

--
熊城