[Samba] Migrate samba3.5 classic domain to Windows2008R2

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Dec 21 01:03:02 MST 2012

On Thu, 2012-12-20 at 16:33 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-12-20 at 14:06 -0600, Hoover, Tony wrote:
> > Most of the documentation I have found on the subject is several years old
> > and involves creating a new domain and then migrating users/workstations
> > from the classic domain to the new AD.  I'd prefer to not create another
> > domain.
>
> AFAIK, Microsoft no longer provides any means to upgrade from an NT
> domain.  All the tools are deprecated, and they don't like to run on
> current servers.  At least that is what I found.
>
> > I have ~150 users & workstations, 30 domain groups, 5 local groups, and an
> > interdomain trust (to a 2003AD) to allow some administrative users access to
> > some academic resources.
> > What is the simplest/cleanest method to accomplish the migration?  What
> > precautions do I need to take to make sure I can get back to the current
> > setup if migration experiments fail?
>
> It is actually pretty simple.
>
> (a) Provision a LINUX host
> (b) Install Samba4
> (c) Perform and Samba3 -> Samba4 domain upgrade.  This will migrate you
> data from the Samba3 NT domain to an Active Directory domain.
> (d) Promote a Windows 2008 server to be a DC
> (e) Demote the Samba4 as DC
>
> You are now on Active Directory with a Windows 2008 DC.
>
> You'll have to recreate your trust accounts, I assume.

This is pretty much what I would have suggested.  I agree that
inter-domain trusts will almost certainly need to be re-established.

I would hope the original poster would be able to show the Samba 4.0
domain working very nicely, but I understand that management directions
are difficult to shift, even with the new features that a Samba 4.0
upgrade brings.

Andrew Bartlett