[Samba] Limitations in packages of Samba 4.0 (particularly pre-releases)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Dec 19 15:54:46 MST 2012

On Fri, 2012-12-14 at 19:05 -0500, Tom McArthur wrote:
> According to the Samba documentation, the manpages are supposed to be
> installed with Samba. Quote:
>
> docs/manpages: You don't need to worry about these yet; during the
> installation, the files will be installed so that you can use the man
> command to read them. But you can take a look in the directory to see
> which manpages are available.
>
> My problem:
>
> Samba4 on 64bit Fedora 17 will not install the manpages, other than a
> bare-bones "samba" page. Specifically, it will not install the
> "smb.conf" page.
>
> What I tried:
>
> I tried reinstalling Samba with the following commands:
>
> sudo yum reinstall samba4
> sudo yum reinstall samba4-devel
> sudo yum reinstall samba4-common
> sudo yum reinstall samba4-libs
>
> No luck - "man smb.conf" still gave a "No manual entry for smb.conf" error.

The samba4 on Fedora 17 is not a complete Samba4, it is just some parts
(libraries) to support OpenChange and FreeIPA.  Therefore it does not
include manpages for the parts that are still based on Samba 3.x, which
was the official release of Samba at the time of the Fedora 17 release.

You can, as you noted before, install from source.
Just /usr/local/samba won't be in your path, it won't be in the man
path, as you noticed.

Any further issues with the deficiencies in the Fedora packages (like
the lack of AD DC support) need to be addressed to Fedora, as we don't
provide the packages.

The same applies to Debian/Ubuntu, which has for the same reason
packaged pre-releases of Samba 4.0 to support OpenChange.  These
packages are also not full packages of the final Samba 4.0.  On
samba-technical I've posted a link to the start of the packaging work
I've done to fix that.

Andrew Bartlett