[Samba] How to Customize VFS Module Error Message?

Wed Dec 19 06:12:49 MST 2012

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 08:34:31PM +0800, Eric Liu wrote:
> WRONG_PASSWORD is just an example. Actually I have other failure cases in
> other VFS operations. I want specific error message to be displayed at
> client side. I don't know if there is a way to do this.

It might be possible to enhance the Samba VFS to allow this
for all operations. But I doubt this will make SMB clients
behave the way you would like them to behave. One example is
the write operation: With oplocks Windows tends to do
delayes writes. This makes it impossible to timely inform
the application of a write failure at all. In case you are
not interested in intercepting write, there are certainly
many other VFS calls that are subject to this problem. Samba
could certainly be better in allowing the VFS to specify the
exact error message given to the client, but because we
think this only has very limited use in common scenarios,
we have not focused on it so far.

With best regards,

Volker Lendecke

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de