[Samba] How to Customize VFS Module Error Message?

Wed Dec 19 04:59:05 MST 2012

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 06:32:12PM +0800, Eric Liu wrote:
> I am writing a VFS module. In certain case, I need to set the error number
> to NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD. At the client side, I wish I could see "Wrong
> password" as error message. However, what I have seen is "No such device or
> address". They look irrelevant at all.
> So, here is my question. In VFS module, is there any way to customize the
> error message seen at client side? So that the message can actually reflect
> what has happened in VFS module.

The SMB protocol allows a proper WRONG_PASSWORD message at
authentication time. When authentication is done, it is
unlikely that clients expect this error and behave according
to your requirements.

With best regards,

Volker Lendecke