[Samba] static only wins server

Chris Smith smb_77 at chrissmith.org
Tue Dec 18 13:14:14 MST 2012

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Gaiseric Vandal
<gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com> wrote:
> If your windows clients use login scripts to map drives, then they don't
> need WINS at all, since they resolve hosts via DNS.

I think that WINS is necessary for the clients to find the Domain Controller.

> However, if a client isn't using wins it will still use netbios "browser" to
> locate resource on the network.    I am not sure if you can totally defeat
> this by pointing the windows clients to an inactive WINS server.

I want the WINS server to be active - just read only. Clients will
receive P-Node instructions (WINS only) from the DHCP server.

> If you don't have file and print sharing enable on the windows client that
> should prevent them from showing up a netbios resources.

Many of the client systems will not be under management control.