[Samba] static only wins server

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 12:08:22 MST 2012

If your windows clients use login scripts to map drives, then they don't
need WINS at all, since they resolve hosts via DNS.

However, if a client isn't using wins it will still use netbios
"browser" to locate resource on the network.    I am not sure if you can
totally defeat this by pointing the windows clients to an inactive WINS
server.

If you don't have file and print sharing enable on the windows client
that should prevent them from showing up a netbios resources.