[Samba] (S4) Neither AXFR nor authoritative nameserving available?

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Tue Dec 18 09:58:06 MST 2012

Hello all,

I'd like to have redundant DNS in our setup.  But it seems that Samba 4
does not yet support AXFR with its internal DNS server.  Alright, that's
fine, so I figured I'd configure the system such that at the very least,
a caching nameserver was sitting in front of it.  However, that doesn't
work; the caching nameserver (BIND 9) returns SERVFAIL, apparently
because Samba 4 isn't setting the authoritative bit on its DNS responses.

Is this a known issue, a configuration error on my part, or something
entirely different altogether?

	Thanks,
	Mike