[Samba] Samba 4, Winbind & RFC2307

Thomas Simmons twsnnva at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 14:51:46 MST 2012

Hello Andrew,

If functionality is not there, I certainly understand and can work around
it. I just want to make sure I am not misunderstanding something.

When you say I should set "idmap_ldb:use rfc2307=yes" in smb.conf on the
DC, do you mean that by doing so I can use winbind (and the rfc2307
attributes) for *nix authentication on the DC? I am confused because I
already have "idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes" in my smb.conf (it gets added
automatically with the classicupgrade and I always provision my "clean"
test setup with "--use-rfc2307"). That actually works fine - the rfc2307
attributes are there and I can modify them in ADUC. If I configure the
server to use NSS+LDAP for authentication, my users's uid number, gid
number, shell, etc are what I have specified in ADUC. When I try using
winbind, it is not using the rfc2307 information from AD. Initially,
 "idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes" was the only idmap related entry in my
smb.conf. When that did not work I tried a bunch of other "idmap config
DOMAIN" settings.

Again, if this simply does not work at this time, I can use NSS and LDAP
for logins on my DCs. With my S3 setup, I've always used LDAP for auth on
*nix systems and am not terribly familiar with winbind, so I just want to
make sure I'm not missing something. My next test will be setting up a
member server. Can you tell me what entries I will need in my smb.conf to
have winbind use the rfc2307 information from my S4 DC on member servers?

Thank you for your help!