[Samba] Samba Client <--> Server Timeout

Fri Dec 14 05:32:45 MST 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 07:40:06PM +0800, Eric Liu wrote:
> To be honest, I don't really know clientgen.c. I just see there is a
> 20000ms there. And I try it and see if I am lucky. Obviously, I am not.
>
> My issue is still server side. In case that VFS_CLOSE operation takes
> longer time than 20s, Samba server shall loads a new module. I don't want
> that happens.
> As you have mentioned, probably the client side ran into timeout and opened
> a new connection. To prevent this happening, I would think the quick
> workaround here would be to increase the timeout value at the client side.
> But I don't know how to do it.

In case you are serving Windows clients, there is no really
good way to increase those timeouts. See a recent discussion
on samba-technical at samba.org. In case you are serving Linux
clients, you might have a chance by tweaking the cifs.ko
module.

SMB clients are just not happy with individual operations
taking long. SMB is a lot less forgiving than NFS for
example is.

With best regards,

Volker Lendecke

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de