[Samba] Samba Client <--> Server Timeout

Fri Dec 14 03:44:12 MST 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 06:36:58PM +0800, Eric Liu wrote:
> I am writing a Samba VFS module. The VFS CLOSE operation takes a longer
> time, much greater than 20s, to return. Looks this will cause Samba client
> server communication timeout. And Samba will load a new module, which is
> not what I want. I want Samba to wait, until VFS CLOSE operation finishes
> what it should do. I don't want Samba to load a new module. Can anyone tell
> me how/where to change Samba source code to realize this?

VFS_CLOSE taking more than 20 seconds is nothing Samba is
prepared for at the moment. Very likely it's the client that
ran into a timeout and opened a new connection.

Can the CLOSE operation you are writing fail at all? If not,
can you defer the long-running operations to a forked
process and return quickly to the main smbd, faking success?
This would be a quick workaround. The real solution would be
to make CLOSE asynchronous, see smbd/aio.c for read and
write operations.

With best regards,

Volker Lendecke

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de