[Samba] Samba DC and DNS DLZ ? [was: Samba4 -> Windows 200x DNS Migration]

Brian Cuttler brian at wadsworth.org
Thu Dec 13 14:16:12 MST 2012

I'm sorry to jump in the middle, just had some work given to me
and I'm looking at docs and clearly in need of a primmer, that
perhaps you can point me to.

What I was told was that we need to use the samba 4 backend DNS
or enable DLZ, dynamically loaded zones, in our DNS server.

I haven't yet run across anything that says that the Samba server
used as a domain controller, will dynamically generate new DNS
records (but its a believable issue), which would make the case
for dynamic DNS. But I can't seem to find a reason why dynamically
loaded zones would be useful, particularly if the samba server is
on a different platform than the DNS server, and I presume unable
to affect the data repository that would be dynamically loaded
(I guess client/server SQL, but I haven't found any such reference).

Will a samba DC generate new content for DNS? Assuming that the data
created by the SAMBA dc is available to DNS, I could see the need to
reload the zone, or have the records load dynamically, and I guess
DLZ will do that. Is that what we are looking to achieve?

thanks, and sorry, will change the subjecton the thread, don't want
to hijack it.