[Samba] Samba 4 / DNS

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 23:54:32 MST 2012

Hi

On 12 December 2012 01:31, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Samba doesn't require internet connectivity, but yes, you will have to
>> work out how to ensure that the desktops can both resolve the name of
>> the AD DC and names elsewhere on the network.  This would seem to be a
>> challenge in your setup, but perhaps you can have another dual-homed box
>> running BIND, with a forwarder pointing to Samba4, and otherwise
>> forwarding to the rest of the world.  Then your dual-homed boxes could
>> use that as their DNS server.
>>

> Thanks.  That confirmed what I thought. I would not be permitted to
> have the DNS server so that would prevent me from this.

Perhaps you could run bind as the DNS server on the Samba box.  Then
configure it to prevent recursive queries.  I think you might have to
tell it that your company DNS servers are the root servers.  Then
point the clients at the Samba server for DNS.

In theory the clients would contact Samba for all DNS lookups.  Samba
would say to ask one of the "root" name servers (which would be your
company's DNS servers).  The clients should then ask your company's
DNS servers.

The only other thing I can think of off hand is running a minimal DNS
implementation on each client that forwards to either Samba or your
company's DNS servers depending on the domain.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>