[Samba] File permissions

Andrew Dumaresq dumaresq at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 11:05:15 MST 2012

Hi,

I recently rebuilt my Domain controller and after working on it it
seems that file permissions with the new Samba file server are not the
same, and I'm wondering if this is expected.

If I do this in smb.conf:

        server services = +smb -dns -s3fs
        dcerpc endpoint servers = +winreg +srvsvc

Then when a windows users creates a file using samba on my server then
the files are created using that users, uid.

If I remove those lines (excep the -dns) when the windows users create
the file it is created with a uid of 300000:

middleearth:/home/samba/public$ ls -l
total 503608
drwxr-sr-x  2 dumaresq users      4096 Dec  8 11:47 New folder
drwxrwsrwx+ 2  3000000 users      4096 Dec  8 11:55 New folder (2)

The first file was created with
        server services = +smb -dns -s3fs
        dcerpc endpoint servers = +winreg +srvsvc

with just -dns.

I am wondering if this is expected, is the new way to create a file
that nobody owns and then change the ACLs so the correct people have
access, or is something wrong with my setup?

Thanks