[Samba] windbind configuration

Dermot paikkos at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 05:42:19 MST 2012

Hi,

OS:    CentOS 6.3
Samba:  3.5.10-125.el6
winbindd: 3.5.10-125.el6

I have a standalone server with the above. I would like my Windows 7 users
to have access to the shares but not have to create local accounts for
them. I'm assuming winbindd does this for me.

So far the samba set-up appears to work. I have joined the ADS domain. I
can use wbinfo to authenticate users.

wbinfo -a auser%321
plaintext password authentication succeeded
challenge/response password authentication succeeded

I followed the instructions at
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_&_Active_Directory which has the
winbind separator as '+'. When I tested the logging in I notice this in my
samba logs:

[2012/12/06 12:12:39.916666,  1] smbd/sesssetup.c:454(reply_spnego_kerberos)
  Username MYDOMAIN+AUSER is invalid on this system

When I changed the separator to '\', it worked.

I guess the question is, is there a problem with setting the separator as
back-slash. I do see errors in testparm but it appears to be the only way
to enable login.

    winbind separator = '\'
    winbind enum users = Yes
    winbind enum groups = Yes