[Samba] Windows 7 adding printer

Frank Lascheit fl at seh.de
Wed Dec 5 03:41:25 MST 2012

Am Mittwoch, den 05.12.2012, 08:35 +0000 schrieb arun.sasi1 at wipro.com:
> Hello Team,
>
> I am unable to add/upload Windows 7 64 bit print driver from Windows 7 64 bit laptop. It is giving me following error.
>
> The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver,make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based system.
>
> Is there any work around ?
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Arun Sasi Venmalassery
> Sr. Engineer - Server Management (UNIX),
> Wipro Ltd (Dubai) |Mob: +971 566489491 | E: arun.sasi1 at wipro.com<mailto:koresh.dash at wipro.com>

> The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.
>
> WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via email. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
>
> www.wipro.com

Hi,

the reason for this behaviour is probably in the printer drivers
inf-file. Current drivers must 'decorate' models-section-name entries
with a target platform extension.

If the inf-files's manufacturer section has no entry for windows
versions prior to XP (which is Version 5.1) it won't install on a Samba
server, which has a windows version 5.0.

You can try to manually tweak the inf-file. Try to google for "inf file
syntax". I can't offer a general solution, cause inf-files can be quite
complex. Maybe it works, if you replace every occurrence of
"NTamd64.6.0" with "NTamd64.5.0".

Good luck,

Frank Lascheit