[Samba] samba 4 & preexisting openldap servers

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Dec 3 21:47:03 MST 2012

On Mon, 2012-12-03 at 13:13 -0500, Brian Gold wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> Can I use my existing openldap servers with samba4, or will I have to
> migrate my current ldap data into samba4's own ldap server? We are currently
> using a split view bind server for internal & external DNS. Can we continue
> to use this or will we have to move our internal dns over to Samba4's
> builtin dns server? Will I need to ditch our current DHCP server as well?

Samba 4.0 cannot use an external LDAP server.  We know this is
incredibly frustrating to users who deployed Samba 3.x 'classic' domains
using OpenLDAP, because that was an incredibly flexible, productive
partnership that integrated very well with so many other tools.
However, try as we might, we couldn't make it work - the modal is just
too different.

On DNS, you can continue to use BIND, but the zone that your internal
clients see must be the one handled by our BIND9 plugin, or forwarded to
our internal dns server.  How to configure BIND for that is up to you
however.

Samba 4.0 does not include a DHCP server, however be aware that the
traditional DHCP+dynamic DNS configuration does not work, you will need
to follow up on this list with those who have found the existing
solutions to for DHCP and AD.  (I'm rather keen to see this gap closed,
but I don't expect to do that very soon).

Andrew Bartlett