[Samba] Samba3 PDC and Windows 8 RTM

Daniel Müller mueller at tropenklinik.de
Mon Dec 3 07:16:55 MST 2012

It will not work at this time.
You need to test samba4.

EDV Daniel Müller

Leitung EDV
Tropenklinik Paul-Lechler-Krankenhaus
Paul-Lechler-Str. 24
72076 Tübingen

Tel.: 07071/206-463, Fax: 07071/206-499
eMail: mueller at tropenklinik.de
Internet: www.tropenklinik.de

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: samba-bounces at lists.samba.org [mailto:samba-bounces at lists.samba.org] Im
Auftrag von Didster
Gesendet: Montag, 3. Dezember 2012 14:57
An: samba at lists.samba.org
Betreff: [Samba] Samba3 PDC and Windows 8 RTM

Hi there,

I have just purchased a new PC that came with Windows 8 Pro (Shudder...).

I have been trying to add this machine to my Samba3 based domain.

I'm getting the following error when doing so:

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location
(SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller
(AD DC) for domain "<blah>":

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.<blah>

I have applied the Windows 7 registry patches:

HKLM\System\CCS\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters
            DWORD  DomainCompatibilityMode = 1
            DWORD  DNSNameResolutionRequired = 0

Which others seem to suggest work - at least with Beta versions of Win8 -
but the error message suggests these are not doing anything?

I have also specified the DNS suffix of the network manually.  I have also
applied all available Windows updates.

Its Windows 8 Pro (on a Dell machine, if that matters) and Samba 3.6.6-3
running under Debian Wheezy.  Nothing at all in the Samba logs - but I guess
thats as its not even trying NT4 domain style.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Simon