[Samba] Trouble with file shares on Samba 4

Stephen Jones lloydsystems at fastmail.com.au
Sat Dec 1 02:44:12 MST 2012

Hi,

Have you checked the ACLs on the shared directories from the unix side?
Samba takes the Windows ACLs and converts them to Posix ACLs which are
'similar' in nature but not exactly the same.  You can view the Posix
ACLs using getfacl:
# getfacl /shared/directory

I don't think you mentioned whether it was working at some point and
stopped, or has never worked.  Have you changed the ownership or
permissions of these shared directories from unix? If so this may alter
the effective permissions of the ACL entries.  In directories with ACLs
applied, the permissions of the named users and groups are applied
through the group class permissions, so they don't have the same meaning
as with standard unix DAC.

Regards,

Stephen Jones