[Samba] What could cause an "unclean shutdown" of process?

Frederic Fournier frederic.bioinfo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 13:25:33 MDT 2012

Hello,

I added "printcap cache time = 0" to my smb.conf and the printcap related
messages disappeared from my log. Thank you very much for that!!

But the 'unclean shutdown of PID xxx' was not related to printcap. (If you
look in the log, you see that it happens 12 minutes after the last printcap
rescanning and one minutes before the next.)
I made more tests, and the programs that are running on the windows clients
keep crashing. The only two things that I see in samba logs are these
'unclean shutdown of PID xxx' messages in log.smbd and a sudden stop in a
long long list of transactions in log.<client_name>. There are minimal logs
on the client side where I can see: "Error caused by: java.io.IOException:
The specified network name is no longer available".
(The client error seems to be logged 1 second after the server error, but
their clock might not perfectly synchronized, so I can't say for sure what
happens first.)

I need to fix this problem, but I don't know how. So far, Google has
brought me to similar problems (e.g.
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2010-August/157948.html), but to no
solution :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated!