[Samba] net ads user add -F 'user flags'

Cook, Brian bcook at poughkeepsieschools.org
Tue Aug 28 10:01:27 MDT 2012

working with samba 3.5.10 on CentOS.. and AD to a win2k8r2 machine..

I'll say this outright as I can not seem to find a concrete answer,
please correct where applicable.

* You can create accounts in linux on AD, but they can not be enabled
from linux. To enable you must use Win2k8r2 to literally enable them.
Unless you want to use ldap tools.

* Samba needs the DNS servers (and dns domain) of the AD in order to
function properly (resolv.conf) .. (I'm using dnsmasq passing queries
for the dns domain to the AD dns servers and things fails; switching
to the M$ dns makes it all work..)

I'm trying to add users via linux cli as scripting is easier, and it
seems that all the accounts will be created 'disabled' and must
obviously be 'enabled' for them to work.

( with all that said.. )

So in reading the man page for 'net' I see this:

  [RPC|ADS] USER ADD name [password] [-F user flags] [-C comment]
       Add specified user.

*where* do I find out what -F 'user flags' are? :)

Or is there nothing there that will allow me to 'enable' accounts from linux?

Thanks in advance..