[Samba] Still mandatory profiles, every user same profile

Ulrich Schinz ulrich.schinz at ksfh.de
Tue Aug 28 05:10:28 MDT 2012

Hi there,

again me, again similar question.

First of all, what is it, what I'd like to have:

1.) Every user in my System should use the same profile. In dsa.msc I
gave every user as profile-path \\samba4\profiles\stud
2.) The users should not be able to change anything in that profile (I
think changing ntuser.dat to ntuser.man should do the job, proposed i
got step one managed ;) )

System setup:

OS: Linux, Debian Wheezy, 3.2.0-3-amd64 #1 SMP
Samba-Version: todays git-pull: Version 4.0.0beta8-GIT-9e441c4

On my client I'm using Windows 7.

My samba-setup followed the wiki.

What I tried until now:

1.)
http://infrablog.escde.net/2011/09/30/mandatory-profiles-oder-ein-profil-fur-alle/
(sorry it's in german, but I think its clear, what has to be done there).
Another vid showing same way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDWEsJ0bJe8
This one didn't work. If i try to change the rights of that folder and
ntuser.dat-hive, it's not possible to get the same rights, like shown in
the video. Some rights (creator group etc) are created automatically,
and ich cant remove them. Not shure, whether this is the problem,
anyways, windows 7 allways tells me, that I'm beeing logged on with a
temporary profile...

2.) http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2005-August/110239.html
Another post from me, some months ago, where I managed this setup in a
samba3-ldap environment (where it worked). This way even is not working.
Same error, temporary profile.

3.) I tried to create a default user profile in my netlogon-share.
My plan was to create a default user profile, so that at every logon
this profile is copied. So I would have been able to delete the profiles
over night via cron... But the profile isn't loaded. Maybe I'm doing
something wrong in this setup...
One way was to copy a customized profile to netlogon-share (see 2.) )
whith read-access to authenticated users. But this profile isn't loaded.
Again the message is: temporary profile. In my profiles-share only a
folder is created (username.v2) but this folder stays empty.
Other way, was to just copy a profile to netlogon, but same problem

So now my question to you guys is: is there someone, who got this
working with samba4, or is it even working in samba4 to get this kind of
setup running?

Maybe someone has some hints for me, what else I could try.

Kind regards
Uli