[Samba] Samba 4 how to provision as simply a member of a domain

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Aug 28 02:36:01 MDT 2012

On Sat, 2012-08-25 at 14:38 -0700, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> On 08/24/2012 11:04 PM, steve wrote:
> >>>
> >> Hi Steve,
> >> You could try 'net ads join', the net command is there in
> >> /usr/local/samba/bin and this is the command that would be used from a
> >> samba 3 domain member, but I must say that I haven't yet tried this.
> >>
> >> Rowland
> >>

> > Hi Rowland
> > Yes, thanks I could alwasy do that but I thinking more of a samba'tool
> > domain join method, as a member, not a dc. Anyone had any experience
> > iof this? It looks too straightforaer to me. I must have missed something
> Samba-tool commands is highly related to DC operation mode, for the
> member operation mode the net command is your companion.

Just to confuse matters, with some patches I just got in to beta7, the
two are now roughly equivalent.  It needs more testing, but if you run
'samba-tool domain join' then it will also populate the secrets.tdb that
smbd/winbindd uses.

However, for now I concur in your recommendation to use 'net ads join'
as has always been done for smbd/winbindd configurations.

Andrew Bartlett