[Samba] XP Pro client perm issues after joining samba domain

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Fri Aug 24 13:01:58 MDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Tom Ryan <tomryan at camlaw.rutgers.edu>wrote:

> I googled for
>
> internet explorer crashes when administrator
>
> Figuring that samba wasn't to blame here.
>
> The first hit I got might be your cause.. (protected mode)

Your right, Tom, it turned out not to be a samba problem at all, but your
reply headed me off in the right direction.

Being a *nix guru, I forget that win32 does have a "few" logs. A look at
the system log showed that the latest version of Avast's AWS service was
crashing IE8. Removing the "Browser Protection" module corrected the
problem. Interestingly enough, IE8 appears to be the only browser affected
this way.

Incidentally, AFAICT there is no protected mode for IE8 installed on XP.

Thanks again for helping break me loose on this!

Kind Regards,
Chris