[Samba] XP Administrator has no access to shares

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Mon Aug 20 02:45:33 MDT 2012

On 20/08/12 09:42, Gémes Géza wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> Answers below
>> Hi Géza
>>
>> Thanks for your patience.
>> Lets take this share:
>> [home]
>> path = /home2/home
>> read only = No
>>
>> 1. Could you tell me what I need to add to enable Administrator to
>> have full control over it?

Hi Geza
I think I just understood it. It has all started working.

> The most probable cause of not having access is that Administrator has
> no access to the underling filesystem, so I would do a setfacl -R -m
> u:Administrator:rwx,d:u:Administrator:rwx /home2/home  It could have two
> results: 1. everything starts working, 2. it complains, that couldn't
> find user Administrator which indicates, that you should review your
> winbind and nsswitch config.

setfacl -R -m u:Administrator:rwx,d:u:Administrator:rwx /home2/home

Now Administrator can write to /home2/home and any directory under it.
Brilliant. Administrator must have posixAccount, uidNumber and gidNumber
for this to work.

>> 2. is there a user in the Domain (like root in Linux) who has control
>> over everything? Shares, users, network, the lot?
> NO

Not even with a m$ server?

As always we are indebted to your patience and time spent with us on the
issue.

This is a bit off thread, but could you specify any budget
hardware/minimum Samba4 DC Samba3 fileserver server requirements for a
college of 2000 students sharing 150 duel boot KDE/w7?

Cheers,
Steve