[Samba] winbindd: socket dir

Michael Hendrie michael at hendrie.id.au
Sat Aug 18 07:46:33 MDT 2012

Hi List,

Hunting around Google I've found a couple of references to using "winbindd: socket dir" in smb.conf to allow multiple winbindd instances to run but can't seem to find any doco on this feature.

I have tried adding this to my smb.conf file but when I try to use ntlm_auth with this configuration any authentication fails and it returns:

ntlm_auth --username=testusr
[2012/08/18 23:37:24.230344,  0] utils/ntlm_auth.c:184(get_winbind_domain)
  could not obtain winbind domain name!

I know the rest of my config is correct as without winbindd: socket dir specified, authentication is successful.

I can see that the pipe has been created in the directory specified in the smb.conf but can't get authentication to succeed.

Can anyone shed some light on why this might be failing, or point me in the direction of some documentation.

Running distro supplied samba versions:

samba3x.x86_64:  3.5.10-0.110.el5_8
samba3x-common.x86_64:  3.5.10-0.110.el5_8
samba3x-winbind.x86_64:  3.5.10-0.110.el5_8

My smb.conf

[global]
	workgroup = ADLOSA
	realm = ADLOSA.LOCAL