[Samba] About s3fs in samba4

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.hu
Fri Aug 17 12:14:51 MDT 2012

> Reading Whatsnew.txt in samba I understand that If I use s3fs, as it is
> set by default in the provision step, I won't be able to modify GPOs
> later, right?
> So I have a couple of questions:
>
> - What's the advantage of using s3fs over ntvfs in new installations?
> - If I'm planning to deploy a new Domain, probably needing to change GPOs
> later, should I select ntvfs???
>
> Best regards,
> Felix

If you use s3fs, the only thing you may need to do (first test if it is
still necessary it was with the git version a week ago) is to give group
Domain Admins, full access to the sysvol share (and recursively all
subfolders) from a Windows domain member computer (loged in of course as
a member of the Domain Admins group).
The major problem with ntvfs is that it isn't actively developed anymore
and hasn't received those protocol dialect updates (smb2-3) which were
introduced in Vista and 7, and thus it may have compatibility problems
later (no known problem exist so far)

Regards

Geza Gemes