[Samba] Samba 3.4.3 and DOS read only

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Thu Aug 16 16:48:00 MDT 2012

Jim Gallagher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there an easy way to get Samba v3.4.3 to respond to client requests to
> change the read-only attribute by setting/unsetting the unix write bits?
> For the shares in question, the unix permissions are not really important,
> but managing the RO attribute is. It appears that this was the default
> behavior in (very?) old Samba versions, but my server appears to simply
> ignore RO attribute change requests.

There is, you need the following and your file system mounted with
extended attributes enabled

# store DOS attributes in extended attributes
       ea support = yes
       store dos attributes = yes
       map readonly = no
       map archive = no
       map system = no
       map hidden = no

> This is a HP-UX server, using the HP repackage of Samba, based on 3.4.3.
> The HP build does not include support for file system extended attributes,
> nor does it include the vfs_xattr_tdb module.

Then you are stuffed I believe.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.